Duct Cleaning (Air Quality Statistics)
Back to: Duct Cleaning
Indoor Air Quality has been a vital concern in the United States and the world since twenty nine members of the American Legion died following attendance at a convention held at the Bellevue Stratford Hotel in Philadelphia in 1976. Since then, numerous buildings have been closed or renovated because of indoor air concerns. Here are some additional facts about the current status of indoor air:
- One out of six people who suffer from allergies do so because of the direct relationship to the fungi and bacteria in air duct systems. (Total Health & Better Health Magazine)
- Dirt and dust cause nine out of ten system failures. (Louisiana Cooperative Extension Service)
- Indoor pollution affects 21 million people each year in the United States (Occupational Safety and Health Administration - OSHA)
- Legionnaire's Disease, which can be caused by improper maintenance of cooling towers and HVAC systems, strikes 25,000 People and kills over 4,000 people per year. (Centers for Disease Control - CDC)
- Although complying with standards to improve indoor air quality may cost as much as 8 Billion Dollars a year, this will be offset by 15 Billion Dollars in savings from increased worker productivity, fewer sick days, and lower health care costs. (OSHA)
- Out of 488 problems identified during surveys of 160 buildings, 178 resulted from HVAC operation or design and 87 from HVAC maintenance. (National Institutes for Occupational Safety and Health - NIOSH)
- Most susceptible to IAQ related health problems are the young children, the elderly and the schools. (Cynthia Troth; Terra Bio Chem)
- Symptons of Sick Building Syndrome (SBS) include fatigue, headache, irritability, nausea, dry or burning sensation in eyes, nose and throat, sneezing and stuffy or runny nose. (Environmental Protection Agency - EPA)
- This past summer, Legionella from a hospital cooling system in Chamersburg, PA killed 3 and infected at least 14 others.
Contact us today for a free inspection and estimate of your premises.